Wednesday, April 20, 2016

What do you LIKE?

Today I’m thinking about my LIKE differently. Bear with me even if you don’t have Facebook…

The pressure to LIKE something on FB comes from many sources. Who posted? What’s the content? Is it culturally popular to LIKE? Who will see that I liked it? FB has now made it possible to “LIKE” posts with more than a thumbs up . It’s almost too easy.

The ease (1 click) of liking something has made it possible to start trends, raise money and awareness, or sway points of view. While these can be powerful and good things, I’m afraid of the diluting. Of quantity ruining quality.

The temptation is to log on, like everything, and log off. But does that really tell anything about anyone. I’ve always held my mouse button in reservation and I’m more convinced than ever that the world is in a race to the bottom. A race to have the most likes, or be the one to like the most things.

Don’t let the powerful, impersonal connectedness of our world keep us from the engaging with people in a way that is lasting. LIKE the post if you want, but don’t trade it for a breakfast together. Or a phone call on the way home from work. Or a handwritten note. My favorite lately is Facetime, Skype, or a video message.

Bring your best to the interactions/relationships of your world, I’m saving my LIKES for when it supports my connection and isn’t my only connection.


J

1 comment:

  1. Am I allowed to like this? 😊
    You have a lot of wisdom to share and I like the way you share it-that's a gift for sure. Keep it coming. M

    ReplyDelete